Friday, May 27, 2016

Reading Through Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island (Sterling Illustrated…Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leaves From A Child's Garden of Verses by…Not too long ago we finished reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. We read this aloud together as a family and as soon as we were finished my son wanted to read it again to himself. Since he showed such interest in this book (it is a fun read aloud) I decided that we should read some other books by and about Stevenson. This could be used for a short unit study in homeschool or just for fun studying a famous classic author (we did this with Charles Dickens, too).

For a biography we read Robert Louis Stevenson: Young Storyteller. We followed this up by reading poems by Stevenson, especially ones mentioned in his biography. I have both Leaves From a Child's Garden of Verses and Poetry for Young People: Robert Louis Stevenson. One of my favorite poems by Stevenson is My Shadow. I like this one so much I enjoy having it in a stand alone picture book. I have a version illustrated by Ted Rand. The illustrations are wonderful and vividly portray the ideas of the poem.


I don't think you will want to miss The Voyage of the Ludgate Hill: Travels with Robert Louis Stevenson by Nancy Willard. This poem is based on letters from RL Stevenson that he wrote concerning his trip on the "Ludgate Hill" His voyage not only included people but many exotic animals. This fictional account of his journey is both humorous and enchanting.

Robert Louis Stevenson wrote many other books that you could expand this reading journey, if you wanted it to be longer.


For a Reading Journey Through Shadows (My Shadow).


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.